Monday, November 21, 2011

Spray Basting Vs Pins

Which is your preference? I use both, depending on the size of the quilt.  I love the ease of spray basting, but hate that it can get other places sticky - which creates a need to mop the floors more often!!  I hate trying to spray a large quilt tho, as I feel I can't get it quite accurate.  Pinning is the way to go then for me.  So how do you baste your quilts?  The same? Opposite? Only one method or the other? I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions!

I'd show you what I just basted, but it's a Christmas surprise!!!









Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Interesting that you should pose this question today because I was thinking about this last night. I have to quilt a baby quilt myself, and was thinking spray basting would be the way to go.(Pins are such a pain!)I thought I might use our canvas painter's tarp under the quilt to keep the spray off the carpet. But, would that make the quilt wrinkle? I don't know. Just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only spray basted once - and I should not have chosen such a large quilt to try it on as it completely stretched out the top. It was awful, I could not stretch out the wrinkles and had to quilt them in. I have never used it since and I do not think I will again. That said - I refuse to use pins as well as I am clumsy and like to forget they are there and shatter needles on them. I currently thread baste everything, its is time consuming - but every project I have done this with turns out great - well, the quilting is still something I need to get better at - but the layers are wrinkly free and they never move around on me. Someday - I may try fusable batting. Have you used that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only ever used pins but I want to try to use other methods, maybe ...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and read. I love comments. <3